I’m sure most of you Sydneysiders have come across, in one form or another, promotions for Hello Fresh. Simply put, Hello Fresh is a company that delivers ingredients and recipe cards for dinner to your doorstep, so that busy-you doesn’t have to go grocery shopping.
I’d been fascinated by the idea behind Hello Fresh for a long while, but at a starting price of $69 a box for 3 meals for 2 people, this was a little beyond my price range. Finally, I came across a promotion on Groupon: $45 for 2 boxes (i.e. 2 weeks), each having 3 meals for 2 people. Great deal (considering the starting price), so I purchased it straight away!
I received my first delivery tonight and was so excited that straight after I opened my box, I couldn’t wait to share it with everyone and am now blogging about it!
Here’s how my experience went:
1. The website has recipes for the coming week. The recipes are fixed, so I held out until the week where I liked the look of all of the recipes (it didn’t take long, I waited 2 weeks). There is the option of choosing the classic box (with meat) or vegetarian box. I chose the classic box and my meals for the week are:
- Moroccan Summer salad;
- Coconut poached prawns with rice noodles; and
- Lemongrass beef with rice.
2. Wednesday is the cut off day for orders for the coming week so I placed my order last Wednesday.
3. I received confirmation of my order and was advised the delivery would take place on Tuesday.
4. A few days ago, I received an email advising of the window in which my food box would be delivered.
5. A few days ago, I received a friendly SMS from the Hello Fresh team which gave me a phone number to call if I had any issues with my food box , or if I was stuck while cooking the recipes.
6. I received my food box at 4:45pm, 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled delivery window.
7. I opened my food box, and this is what I found! (Yes, there are a lot of photos – I went happy snapping!)
In my excitement of looking at the ingredients, taking photos, writing this blog post, I haven’t cooked any of the recipes yet. So far I LOVE my food box and I cannot wait to cook it! It’s so handy, the team at Hello Fresh have really paid attention to the detail! I love how so many little packs of ingredients have been included. Also love the detailed fool-proof recipe cards complete with pictures of ingredients and steps – with these, anyone can cook!
Although I love the box, I have to admit I would not purchase it at its full $69. It saves grocery shopping for dinner – but I would need to do grocery shopping for all my other weekly necessities, so the price of the box would only be for the convenience of having 3 dinners a week sorted.
Stay tuned for when I do end up cooking the recipes!
Rating (so far): ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Rating (with price taken into account): ★ ★ ★ ★ ★